'An island floating on milk with something sweet on top'
Well I recently spent 2 weeks in Finland and experienced porridge in a whole new way. Some things are too good not to share!
Ingredients (for 2-4 people):
• 4 cups of water
• 2 generous tablespoons of coconut oil
• 2 cups organic oats
• 1/2 teaspoon of natural salt eg celtic sea salt
• a sprinkling of ground cardamon
• raw sunflower seeds and summer berries to taste
• honey (optional)
So here is something very cool about Finland (apart from the temperature!)...
All of these ingredients came from the local 'ABC' chain supermarket!
You should have seen the look on my friend's face when I asked her if there was flouride added the tap water. A mixture of outrage and disgust. 'Why would we do such a thing to our sweet tasting fresh tap water?'
- Put water in pan on medium heat
- Add the cocounut oil
- Add the oats, salt & cardamon
- Heat and stir until it bubbles and reduce to low heat
- Simmer until the oats become homogeneous
- Add the seeds & berries with an optional drizzle of honey
- Enjoy with a friend!
The simmer time makes a big difference so be prepared to taste it before you serve it up and put it back on the heat for a while.
PS Thanks to Yohanna for the recipe and the pics. She said I should make it clear to put the berries and stuff on top of the porridge in case
'some crazy person might mix it in'